Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Bane of my Existence

(get out of here, you jackasses)
...
Witness here my green onion volunteers. They are everywhere, in nearly every pot I have.

Why, how did they get there? I have only myself to blame. Last year I was sweetly given a pot of the dreadful stuff by a fellow gardener. I took them gratefully. I despise green onions.
...
I'm a delicate freaking flower when it comes to digesting (or rather, not digesting) anything allium. I have to cook all onions within an inch of their life for them to not give me several hours of heartburn. Since green onions are sprinkled on raw, I avoid them, but I also deeply hate the way they taste. It's probably Pavlovian, considering what they have done to my gullet my whole life.

I grew them last year, because that's what I do- and natch, never ate them. At the end of the season as I was preparing my Big Honking Winter Dirtpile, I cut them off, dumped them in, chopped them up. Or so I thought. The BHW Dirtpile, being uninsulated, never heated up; it froze solid. The Sorcerer's Apprentice shoots are now popping up all over. I'm digging down into every pot, but no matter what I do, I can't get all of the tiny rootballs out.

Freaking green onion rootballs! Gah!

2 comments:

RG said...

Geeze Louise kid... you would grow too much of anything! ... but that is pretty funny about the onions!

We have 4 big raised beds and I plant two of them with potatos. Each year I switch to the other two - back and forth. No matter how thoroughly I dig, I never get them all and there come the volunteers where they don't belong! Of course, then I have to let them grow, they might be really good!

Carolyn said...

You shall win the war. I know it!

Carolyn