Friday, April 25, 2008

I made a list.

Something the Rabbit Saint (Rabbits' Guy from A Houseful of Rabbits) said reminded me that I really should publish a list. Here is everything I'm growing on my porch. Not everything has come up from seed yet, but it will (!). Seeing this all at once, it is quite amazing how much food you can grow in so little space, and in pots, no less.

I was thinking about the economics of all this last night- because my husband and I eat low on the food chain (vegetarian), we eat locally, and cook from simple ingredients (little to no processed food- are tortilla chips processed food?) we spend about $30.00 average per week on food. We spend less in the summer because of the garden at our back door, more if we need something like a gallon of olive oil. Eggs and bread come from a farmer we know (best eggs and bread ever!), pastured butter comes from the health food store. In the winter we live mainly on cabbage soup, carrots and potatoes from the Farmer's Market.

And all told, we've probably spent $1200.00 over the last 3 years on gardening equipment, pots, books, and tools. Not bad, huh?

Edible flowers:
Nasturtium
Anise Hyssop
Borage
Calendula

Chard:
Fordhook Giant
Five-Color Silverbeet
Bionda Di Lyon

Asian Greens:
Vitamin Green
Happy Rich

Spinach:
Bloomsdale

Kale:
Red Russian

Lettuce:
Green Bibb Buttercrunch
Black Seeded Simpson
Mesclun Spicy Mix
Mesclun Salad mix
Green Romaine Claremont
Rossa A Foglia Riccia Da Taglio
Arugula
Silvia

Tomatos:
Pink Beauty
San Marzano
Japanese Black Trifele
Paul Robeson

Peppers:
Purple Beauty
Mini Chocolate Bell
Alma Paprika
Peach Habanero
Round of Hungary
Lipstick Pimento

Beans:
Foremost
Scarlet Runner Beans

Squash:
Yellow Gold Rush Zucchini
Eight Ball

Cucumber:
Picklebush

Fennel:
Finocchio

Herbs:
Fernleaf Dill
Marjoram
Cilantro
Genovese Basil

Parsley

Peas:
Sugar Snap

And a few non-edible flowers, just because I like them--
Cramer's Celosia, Hollyhock, and Four o' Clock.

1 comment:

Robbyn said...

you know we're not planting this year. you know why...
and every time I see the word "tomato" in close proximity with the words "Paul Robeson" I start muttering in monosyllables and go into little paulrobesonpaulrobesonpaulrobeson little trance/pout/mantra/pouting more.

I really need to grow up...

What a list!!! Your garden rocks! And $30 a week is amazing for a food budget, wow